Peace Gone Wild

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Imagine no religion

Yesterday I saw "g-dly Bush Family Values people" in action again. An old homeless vet with a hook on one arm and a deformed hand on the other asked two men who were illegally parked in a disabled zone so they could unload their several coolers and laundry baskets of sand toys at a beach, he asked them if they had a spare sandwich. They hollered at him, "get a job", "take a shower". This was an old, disabled man who was carrying all he had on this earth on him.

They had a mini-van, I think it was just one of two vehicles they were unloading as it appeared to be two families. And the van had the "Support the Troops" magent, "W" schwag and of course the jesus fish thing. Basically the standard, "Attention Everyone: We're Assholes" bumper gear.

I went up to him and gave him some money and his eyes teared up. He grabbed me and hugged me. I went to my car and returned with some bottled water for him. He said, "this is like gooooooooold!" and then he said "G-d Bless You!"

I replied with words that just flowed out... "I don't believe in G-d, I believe in Peace."

I'm sure the other "gentlemen" were in church today.

8 Comments:

  • At 9:23 AM, Blogger Mike said…

    "I don't believe in G-d, I believe in Peace."

    At the risk of irony ad absurium...Amen sister!

     
  • At 9:39 AM, Blogger Janet said…

    Thanks Mike :)

    The people unloading the mini-van could have said, "no" or "sorry"... but they were delighting in being mean. It was so unreal, yet it happens all the time. But it's still such a slap in the face when you see it like that in all it's "ironic glory".

     
  • At 2:28 PM, Blogger Janet said…

    Because... you were trying to bait/debate me about freakin' water bottles of all things. I think you'd debate the color of urine just to argue with someone.

    FYI, water bottles can be re-used... that's part of why they are "golden" for the homeless to use.

    Normally, on other's blogs I just ignore your comments to/about me. Here, I can delete em. I have no idea what I did to cause you to knock just about everything about me, except that you believe CodePink is a bigoted group. At first I tried to reassure you it wasn't and that for the most part I march with men who wear CodePink shirts... but I think you just wanted to argue. I have no time for those games. I was actually quite shocked that you even bothered to read my blog.

    I'm sorry if you take any offense at my deleting your "comment". But if all you were able to glean from my encounter Sunday was that it was a silly waste to to have water bottles when you can drink from a sink or fountain... whatever.

     
  • At 5:48 PM, Blogger Janet said…

    It was a brand new, never drank out of water bottle.

    DamnitJanet on MLW

    DavidByron, the benefit of the doubt was given a few times... as communication via this crazy thing called cyberspace can result in numerous misunderstandings. Yes, I'm probably totally wrong about your seemingly harsh criticism of my activism, an organization I belong to. I'm not really sure just how you'd expect me to react.

    Anyways, I wish you well.

     
  • At 5:48 AM, Blogger Mike said…

    You know, its not that you have to give these guys the shrt off your back everytime you see them, but simply acknowledge them as humans. There are times when I can't (and yes, won't) give money to the homeless, but I always look them in the eye and say:

    "Sorry buddy, I've got noting right now"

    Unless they are terribly metally ill (and I've only seen that once), their eyes light up and I even get a smile and

    "Thanks"

    Probably because I was the first person that day to even treat them like a human.

     
  • At 10:36 AM, Blogger Janet said…

    Exactly Mike, the human touch. A kind word.

    One of the things that I have noticed while marching or being at vigils... is that so many others on the street will walk right past you with complete blinders on. They look through you. You get the feeling of what it must be like to be on the street asking for help and seeing these people pass right over you as if you weren't there.

     
  • At 12:08 PM, Blogger Jim said…

    echoing Mike an agnostic also says amen sister

     
  • At 5:24 PM, Blogger Janet said…

    Thank you very much Jim! I'm looking forward to diving into your site.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home